If you suspect you may have the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) call the dedicated hotline 1800 675 398 – open 24 hours, 7 days. Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.
Thursday 2 April 2020
In the past few days there have been lots of developments and announcements relating to COVID-19, including greater social distancing requirements and the closure of more non-essential services. We hope that these measures have not significantly impacted you and your traineeship too much, as well as your friends and familNew stay at home direction
The Deputy Chief Health Officer of Victoria has issued a lawful direction which means that, except in limited circumstances, you should remain in your home. The stay at home direction is compulsory.
Who does this apply to, and when?
Everyone in Victoria. The ‘Stay at Home’ period begins from midnight on 30 March until midnight on 13 April 2020.
There are LOTS of questions about the stay at home direction. This website provides a good overview to some questions you may have about what you can and can’t do and who you can and can’t see: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-stay-home-and-restricted-activities-directions-faq
While this is an uncertain and rapidly changing time, it is important everyone follows the social distancing requirements.
You can find the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 on the Victorian Government’s Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) website here.
If you haven’t done so already, you may wish to sign up to the official coronavirus health alerts from Victoria’s Chief Health Officer here.
We are also encouraging trainees to stay connected, while still making sure you are adhering to social distancing requirements – through social media, FaceTime/video chat, texts and even phone calls!
As information and advice regarding COVID-19 is changing frequently, we will continually update the information regarding how this impacts Trainees. All updates will be made to the victraineeships.com website here and we will email people involved in the CTPP when updates are made.
The CTPP and COVID-19
If you are currently enrolled with RMIT, you should have commenced online classes with your teacher and fellow students. We know that this can be a difficult transition so please reach out to your teachers or your youth worker if you need any additional support.
If you have not received anything, please check CANVAS and your student emails, or contact your TAFE teacher.
TRAINEES IN THE WORKPLACE
We know that unfortunately some organisations or services have had to close for a period of time. If you are unsure who to speak to in regards to your workplace, it’s important that you contact your workplace supervisor for advice or for any questions that you may have. Your Host Organisation will also be able to give you the information you need on work arrangements and wages.
If you are unable to get in contact with your workplace supervisor, please let your youth worker know and they will be able to help you.
Information and advice is changing regularly in relation to COVID-19. Here are some useful links to keep you up to date:
- DHHS Coronavirus website
- Subscribe for daily email updates from Victoria’s Chief Health Minister
- RMIT Coronavirus website
- VCOSS Coronavirus website
MENTAL HEALTH TIPS AND SUPPORT
- This is a great article on the ABC on how coronavirus is causing grief and sadness, and what we can do about it
- How to cope with stress related to COVID-19
- Beyond Blue has resources relating to looking after your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak
- Kids Helpline – 1800 55 1800
- Lifeline – 13 11 14
- eHeadspace also offers non-urgent support. Visit their website.
- Find entertainment online! This week in TikTok: Bored teens are making self-isolation content
- Have a Netflix watch party! A new Google Chrome extensions means you and friends can watch and comment on shows and movies together
- Find tips online: How to survive isolation with your roommates, your partner, your kids – and yourself
CTPP Youth Workers
The CTPP Youth Workers are available to;
- Provide information about the program
- Provide some general youth work support. Where they are unable to provide support, they can refer you to other services.
- Provide some support for you in relation to both your Employment and TAFE course such as:
- Supporting you to talk with your employer (host organisation)
- Supporting you with difficult conversations
- Helping you discuss your individual needs (with your consent) with your supervisors or teachers
- Support you during key times at your TAFE days if challenges or issues crop up for you
- Provide access to the Flexible Wraparound Support Fund (see below).
At Your Host Organisation (Employer)
It is important that you keep in regular contact with your workplace supervisor. You should be having regular one-to-one meetings with your supervisor. The Human Resources (HR) or People and Culture (P&C) team at your work should also be able to provide you with information and support in relation to workplace policies, arrangements and wages.
It is important that you keep in contact with your teacher, and regularly check Canvas and your student emails for any updates or further information.
RMIT Free Counselling Support
- Call: 03 9925 5000
- Online booking: Click here
RMIT Urgent Crisis Support
- Call: 1300 305 707
- Text: 0488 884 162 (24 hours)
Flexible Wraparound Support Fund
If there are things that could be helpful for you to remain engaged in the program and they have a cost associated with them don’t forget that there is the Flexible Wraparound Support Fund. Speak to your CTPP Youth Worker or workplace supervisor if there is something you think could be covered by this Fund.
MAS National is the Apprenticeship Support Network Provider who signed you up as a Trainee at the commencement of your Traineeship. MAS offers mentor support to Trainees in the workplace. If you think you could benefit from this, please let your CTPP Youth Worker know.
This is the third update for the CTPP and COVID-19. Check this page for future updates. Previous updates are listed below: